Spirits. If Shaman, Mediums, Necromancers, and other spirit-talkers exist… What are they talking to? Ghosts are a real thing in No Books, but what about non-human spirits? Yes, they exist too. This is only the briefest overviews, but it gets at the ideas behind the Spirits and their world beyond the physical.
- Spirits exist in a strange state. They are both separate from, yet essentially tied, to the physical world. They represent concepts, or the essential nature of creatures, or the remains of something which once existed in the physical world.
- If a spirit is (permanently) destroyed, its essence and its place in the world is harmed. Conversely, if the physical “source” of a spirit is wiped away, the spirit is fundamentally weakened.
- All sprits exist in a realm/state referred to as the “Spirit Realms.” There are two layers to the Spirit Realms.
- The Echo: This is the place where most spirits characters might meet reside. It is a “halfway” point between the physical/”real” world and the deeper Spirit Realms. The spirits and objects of The Echo are superimposed over the physical world in a way not unlike AR-programs appear. Some estimates place as many as 90% of all spirits spend at least part of their time in the Echo.
- The Realms: “Deeper” than The Echo, The Realms are the bizarre landscapes that are wholly abstract and representative. Though it is theorized there are as many Realms as there are sentient minds in all of history, most are tied to three main realms.
- The Astral Reaches: Places of the mind and conception. The most abstract of the Realms. This is a place of Collective Unconscious, the remnants of the Library at Alexandria, and the World Soul.
- The Wilds: Places of primordial and untouched wilds. In most places, it resembles real-life locations but as they would be if humanity had never existed. Other Wild Realms may reflect ancient periods of history, places reflecting possible histories and pasts where other beasts take mankind’s place at the top, and it is theorized that even mythical Eden may still exist somewhere in the Wilds.
- The Shadowlands: Realms of the dead and gone. Echoes and remnants of things which once thrived in the physical world, but now nothing remains. Cities cramped with demolished buildings, wild places filed with extinct plants and animals (differing from the Wilds as there is no hope of survival but rather the echoes of their tragic passing), and the Void which destroys all things in a vortex of pure Entropy.
- The Truth: In reality, though nothing living or existing in the current universe knows, is that The Echo and the Realms and everything else in the Spirit Realms are the same place. In turn, the Truth and the Place (i.e. the “physical realm”) are two sides of the same coin.
- Note: All Ghosts are Spirits (albeit specifically of dead humans), but not all Spirits are Ghosts.